Cute Graduation Recipes for Your Upcoming Party
Graduation is right around the corner. Planning your party might be the last thing on your mind right now, but figuring out an idea for food is always a good start. Rather than scrolling 50 pages of Pinterest recipes, here are some cute ideas for your party this May.
Food.com has an extremely cute recipe for diploma look-a-likes in Mexican pinwheel form.
•40 fajita sized flour tortillas
•4 (8-ounce) packages of softened cream cheese
•4 (8-ounce) packages of sliced beef, diced
•2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
•3 bunches green onions, chopped small
1. Mix every ingredient but the tortillas together to create your filling, or if there is an alternative mix you would rather use, this is where you would replace it.
2. Place the filling in the tortilla and roll it up in pinwheel form; do not cut the tortilla.
3. Cut 6-8 inch ribbons in your school colors and tie them in the middle of the pinwheel.
This is a great idea for a party that is held mid-afternoon so your guests don’t come on an empty stomach.
If you are feeding guests at a late afternoon party, dips are key for a successful party. Nacho dip would go great with pinwheel diplomas. Here’s what you need to make this dip.
•1 lb lean ground beef
•2 fresh minced garlic cloves (optional) or 2 garlic powder (optional)
•1 large onion
•Chopped salt or seasoning salt
•1 (14-ounce) can refried beans
•2 (4-ounce) cans green chilies, drained and chopped
•3/4 lb Monterey jack cheese (or to taste) or 3/4 lb mild cheddar cheese finely shredded (or to taste)
•3/4 cup taco sauce
•1 large avocados or 1 (6-ounce) package frozen avocado dip
•1 1/4 cups sour cream
•3/4 cup black olives
•Sliced tostadas or tortilla chips
1. To begin, grease a 3-quart dish that can be used in the oven.
2. Brown your beef along with the onion and garlic in a frypan. To follow, drain and season.
3. Spread the refried beans into the bottom of your dish and top with green chilies, cooked beef over beans, and shredded cheese. Top this off with taco sauce and you are ready to refrigerate until the time of your party.
4. When you are ready to bake, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and bake for 20 minutes.
5. Spread avocado and sour cream on top and garnish with onion and olives. This should be served with chips.
Realistically, any dip will go great with a grad party. The full recipe can be found at food.com. To spice it up a little, you can always add a few personalized mini flags that say “grad!” or “congrats!” in your school colors. You can find these at your party supply store.
If you want to stray away from a Mexican theme, sloppy joe sliders are an easy alternative. Plus, they are extremely easy.
•1 1/2 tablespoons oil
•2 cups chopped onions
•3 lbs lean ground beef
•2 cups barbecue sauce or 2 cups of ketchup
•1 cup French’s classic yellow mustard
•1/2 cup French’s classic Worcestershire sauce
•2 (15 ounce) packages, hamburger slider rolls (about 24 rolls)
1. To begin, heat oil in a pot and sauté onions until they are tender.
2. Add ground beef to the pot and cook until brown.
3. Drain the pot and stir in bbq sauce, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
4. Simmer for 5 minutes and spoon onto small rolls.
The full recipe can be found at food.com. These sliders will be a hit with your guests.
Going along with the theme of grad caps, this adorable dessert will be a hit with guests.
•18 1/4 ounces cake mix
•1 1/3 cups water
•1/3 cup vegetable oil
•3 large eggs
•24 chocolate graham cracker squares
•1 licorice twist (Twizzlers Pull-n-Peel)
1. Follow the box directions for the cupcakes and while filling the tins be sure not to over-fill; the tops should be flat when they are done baking.
2. Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees until you can take a toothpick to the center and it comes out clean; let them cool.
3. Take the chocolate spread and spread it on the bottom of the cupcakes, which will now be your tops. Place a graham cracker square on top of the spread.
4. The Twizzlers rope should be cut into three pieces and separated into strings. Take the end of the string and dip into the extra chocolate spread; press into the graham cracker to finish your caps.
This is an easy alternative to a large cake and can be made in multiple batches for large parties. Plus, they are very aesthetically pleasing and will be a great ending for your party’s hors d’oeuvres.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Food Articles
Recent University of Michigan News Articles
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeCentral Michigan UniversityEastern Michigan UniversityGrand Valley State UniversityUniversity of MichiganMichigan State UniversityWayne State UniversityWestern Michigan UniversityOakland UniversityDavenport UniversityFerris State UniversityAquinas CollegeDelta CollegeLansing Community CollegeMontcalm Community CollegeNorthwestern Michigan CollegeNorthern Michigan UniversityAdrian CollegeAlbion CollegeAlma CollegeAndrews UniversityBaker CollegeCalvin CollegeCollege for Creative StudiesCornerstone UniversityHope CollegeKalamazoo CollegeKettering UniversityLake Superior State UniversityLawrence Technological UniversityMadonna UniversityMarygrove CollegeMichigan Technological UniversityNorthwood UniversityOlivet CollegeRochester CollegeSaginaw Valley State UniversitySiena Heights UniversitySpring Arbor UniversityThomas M. Cooley Law SchoolUniversity of Detroit MercyUniversity of Michigan-DearbornUniversity of Michigan-FlintWalsh College of Accountancy and BusinessGrand Rapids Community CollegeWashtenaw Community CollegeKalamazoo Valley Community CollegeFinlandia UniversityAlpena Community College Bay De Noc Community CollegeBay Mills Community College Glen Oaks Community College Gogebic Community College Henry Ford CollegeJackson CollegeKellogg Community College Kirtland Community College Lake Michigan College Macomb Community College Mid Michigan Community College Mott Community College Muskegon Community College North Central Michigan College Oakland Community College Oakland Community College- Auburn HillsOakland Community College- Highland LakesOakland Community College- Royal OakSchoolcraft College Southwestern Michigan College St Clair County Community CollegeWayne County Community College DistrictWest Shore Community College Abcott InstituteAnn Arbor Institute of Massage TherapyBaker College Center for Graduate StudiesBaker College of Allen ParkBaker College of CadillacBaker College of Clinton TownshipBaker College of JacksonBaker College of OwossoBaker College of Port HuronBayshire Academy of Beauty Craft IncBlue Water College of Cosmetology IncBrighton Institute of CosmetologyCadillac Institute of CosmetologyCalvin Theological SeminaryCareer Quest Learning Centers-LansingCarnegie InstituteCleary UniversityCranbrook Academy of ArtDavenport University - Treasury Site DimondaleDavenport University-Battle Creek LocationDavenport University-Flint LocationDavenport University-Grand Rapids DowntownDavenport University-Holland LocationDavenport University-Kalamazoo LocationDavenport University-Lansing LocationDavenport University-Livonia LocationDavenport University-Midland LocationDavenport University-Saginaw LocationDavenport University-Traverse City LocationDavenport University-Warren LocationDavid Pressley School of CosmetologyDeVry University-MichiganDorsey Business Schools-DearbornDorsey Business Schools-LansingDorsey Business Schools-Madison HeightsDorsey Business Schools-RosevilleDorsey Business Schools-SaginawDorsey Business Schools-SouthgateDorsey Business Schools-Waterford PontiacDorsey Business Schools-WayneDouglas J Aveda InstituteEcumenical Theological SeminaryEmpire Beauty School-MichiganEverest Institute-DearbornEverest Institute-DetroitEverest Institute-Grand RapidsEverest Institute-KalamazooEverest Institute-SouthfieldExcel Academies of CosmetologyExcel Academies of Cosmetology-TroyFlint Institute of Barbering IncFocus-Hope Information Technologies CenterFrench Academy of CosmetologyGallery College of BeautyGreat Lakes Christian CollegeHillsdale Beauty CollegeHoughton Lake Institute of CosmetologyIn Session Arts of Cosmetology Beauty SchoolInternational Cosmetology AcademyITT Technical Institute-CantonITT Technical Institute-Swartz CreekITT Technical Institute-TroyKeweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community CollegeKuyper CollegeM J Murphy Beauty College of Mount PleasantManthano Christian CollegeMarketti Academy of CosmetologyMichigan Barber School IncMichigan Career and Technical InstituteMichigan State University-College of LawMoody Theological Seminary and Graduate School--MichiganP&A Scholars Beauty SchoolPaul Mitchell the School-EscanabaPaul Mitchell the School-MichiganProtege AcademyRegency Beauty Institute-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-Ann ArborRoss Medical Education Center-BrightonRoss Medical Education Center-CantonRoss Medical Education Center-DavisonRoss Medical Education Center-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-New BaltimoreRoss Medical Education Center-PortageRoss Medical Education Center-TaylorSacred Heart Major SeminarySalon AcademySchool of Missionary Aviation TechnologySharps Academy of Hair StylingSouth University-NoviTaylortown School of Beauty IncThe Art Institute of MichiganThe Salon Spa AcademyTwin City Beauty CollegeWest Michigan College of Barbering and BeautyWestern Theological SeminaryYeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit
- By State
- By City