Why Students Should Travel Now
Many people say they love to travel, but when is the time to do it? Some people claim that waiting and saving up enough money after establishing a career is the way to go. However, when you put things off in life, they often don’t get done at all.
I believe traveling as a student is imperative to finding your identity as a young person in this huge world.
1. You’re allowed to be selfish
Being a student means you likely only have to worry about yourself and your studies. You probably don’t have a spouse and children to look after. You’re not married to your job either. The things tying you to one place are very few. If there is any time in your life you should be traveling, it is as a student.
You’re probably more worried about what you’re going to do this weekend than what your five-year plan will be. Of course, this isn’t true for every college student, but if you don’t know where you’re going to be this weekend, why not travel somewhere? This is the time to make the memories you’ll cherish for the rest of your life, especially the spontaneous and silly ones.
2. You’re establishing your friends
When you get older, it’s likely that your group of people will condense. It’ll probably consist of your spouse, your family, your coworkers, and a few close friends. But as a student, you’ve yet to find out who your good friends will be. In fact, you’re probably using this time to meet as many new people as possible to find out what you’re really looking for in a good friend.
At this point in your life, you’re open to new people. So if you’re looking to meet new people, why not take a solo trip and meet fellow travelers? You can indulge in the local food together and explore new places. Traveling is probably one of the best ways to truly get to know someone too. Plus, sharing these exciting traveling experiences, with friends new or old, is the best way to travel.
3. Your responsibilities are minimal
Without kids to look after and a job to nourish, you’re free as a bird when you aren’t tied down to your studies. University is great because it allows you entire weeks and sometimes entire months off from studying and working. In a traditional job sense, this probably isn’t going to happen and if you’re taking weeks off, you’re risking missing out on a lot of pay.
As a student, you probably aren’t quite as concerned. You know what they say about your twenties: it’s a time to have fun and experience all the world has to offer. If you’re staying in one place, how could you even really understand what life is all about?
4. Your expectations are low
If you’re a young person, chances are that you haven’t traveled much beyond family vacations. It also means you may be living in a cramped dorm room and on ramen noodles. You don’t live a lavish life and you don’t need to. You can make anything seem like an adventure whether it’s a midnight trip to the grocery store or a party gone awry.
If you’re traveling as a student, you can bet that it’ll be one of the greatest times of your life even if you’re staying in a cramped hostel or sitting in dirty bars. It doesn’t matter to you; you’re just having the time of your life no matter what! Even if you do get stuck somewhere less than perfect, if you have the right attitude and the right people around you, you’re sure to make the best of any situation. Things that seem awful at the time may turn into a great and hilarious story in a couple of months!
5. It can change your life
As a student, and especially as a young person in general, your opinions about the world are still forming. Whether you’re learning from your friends or your teachers, I encourage you to travel and learn all that exploring the world can teach you. Traveling will force you to rethink your place in the world and see other cultures as valuable.
Without travel, people are more prone to thinking with a closed mind. When you travel, you’re forced out of your normal comfort zone and pressured to re-evaluate all of your previously held beliefs. Doing this will help you gain a true sense of who you are and what you really care about. All in all, travel will change your life, especially as a student.
At this moment in your life, you’re afforded opportunities that you won’t find later on down the road. You’re allowed to be selfish. You’re allowed to make spontaneous decisions without having to consult multiple people. The time to travel is now.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN STUDENT TRAVEL LISTINGSSee all UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Student Travel Listings
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Student Travel Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeCentral Michigan UniversityEastern Michigan UniversityGrand Valley State UniversityUniversity of MichiganMichigan State UniversityWayne State UniversityWestern Michigan UniversityOakland UniversityDavenport UniversityFerris State UniversityAquinas CollegeDelta CollegeLansing Community CollegeMontcalm Community CollegeNorthwestern Michigan CollegeNorthern Michigan UniversityAdrian CollegeAlbion CollegeAlma CollegeAndrews UniversityBaker CollegeCalvin CollegeCollege for Creative StudiesCornerstone UniversityHope CollegeKalamazoo CollegeKettering UniversityLake Superior State UniversityLawrence Technological UniversityMadonna UniversityMarygrove CollegeMichigan Technological UniversityNorthwood UniversityOlivet CollegeRochester CollegeSaginaw Valley State UniversitySiena Heights UniversitySpring Arbor UniversityThomas M Cooley Law SchoolUniversity of Detroit MercyUniversity of Michigan-DearbornUniversity of Michigan-FlintWalsh College of Accountancy and BusinessGrand Rapids Community CollegeWashtenaw Community CollegeKalamazoo Valley Community CollegeFinlandia UniversityAlpena Community College Bay De Noc Community CollegeBay Mills Community College Glen Oaks Community College Gogebic Community College Henry Ford CollegeJackson CollegeKellogg Community College Kirtland Community College Lake Michigan College Macomb Community College Mid Michigan Community College Mott Community College Muskegon Community College North Central Michigan College Oakland Community College Oakland Community College- Auburn HillsOakland Community College- Highland LakesOakland Community College- Royal OakSchoolcraft College Southwestern Michigan College St Clair County Community CollegeWayne County Community College DistrictWest Shore Community College Abcott InstituteAnn Arbor Institute of Massage TherapyBaker College Center for Graduate StudiesBaker College of Allen ParkBaker College of CadillacBaker College of Clinton TownshipBaker College of JacksonBaker College of OwossoBaker College of Port HuronBayshire Academy of Beauty Craft IncBlue Water College of Cosmetology IncBrighton Institute of CosmetologyCadillac Institute of CosmetologyCalvin Theological SeminaryCareer Quest Learning Centers-LansingCarnegie InstituteCleary UniversityCranbrook Academy of ArtDavenport University - Treasury Site DimondaleDavenport University-Battle Creek LocationDavenport University-Flint LocationDavenport University-Grand Rapids DowntownDavenport University-Holland LocationDavenport University-Kalamazoo LocationDavenport University-Lansing LocationDavenport University-Livonia LocationDavenport University-Midland LocationDavenport University-Saginaw LocationDavenport University-Traverse City LocationDavenport University-Warren LocationDavid Pressley School of CosmetologyDeVry University-MichiganDorsey Business Schools-DearbornDorsey Business Schools-LansingDorsey Business Schools-Madison HeightsDorsey Business Schools-RosevilleDorsey Business Schools-SaginawDorsey Business Schools-SouthgateDorsey Business Schools-Waterford PontiacDorsey Business Schools-WayneDouglas J Aveda InstituteEcumenical Theological SeminaryEmpire Beauty School-MichiganEverest Institute-DearbornEverest Institute-DetroitEverest Institute-Grand RapidsEverest Institute-KalamazooEverest Institute-SouthfieldExcel Academies of CosmetologyExcel Academies of Cosmetology-TroyFlint Institute of Barbering IncFocus-Hope Information Technologies CenterFrench Academy of CosmetologyGallery College of BeautyGreat Lakes Christian CollegeHillsdale Beauty CollegeHoughton Lake Institute of CosmetologyIn Session Arts of Cosmetology Beauty SchoolInternational Cosmetology AcademyITT Technical Institute-CantonITT Technical Institute-Swartz CreekITT Technical Institute-TroyKeweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community CollegeKuyper CollegeM J Murphy Beauty College of Mount PleasantManthano Christian CollegeMarketti Academy of CosmetologyMichigan Barber School IncMichigan Career and Technical InstituteMichigan State University-College of LawMoody Theological Seminary and Graduate School--MichiganP&A Scholars Beauty SchoolPaul Mitchell the School-EscanabaPaul Mitchell the School-MichiganProtege AcademyRegency Beauty Institute-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-Ann ArborRoss Medical Education Center-BrightonRoss Medical Education Center-CantonRoss Medical Education Center-DavisonRoss Medical Education Center-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-New BaltimoreRoss Medical Education Center-PortageRoss Medical Education Center-TaylorSacred Heart Major SeminarySalon AcademySchool of Missionary Aviation TechnologySharps Academy of Hair StylingSouth University-NoviTaylortown School of Beauty IncThe Art Institute of MichiganThe Salon Spa AcademyTwin City Beauty CollegeWest Michigan College of Barbering and BeautyWestern Theological SeminaryYeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit
- By State
- By City