Surviving the Tundra in Style
Are you tired of the grungy, baggy outfits you have to wear because of this insanely cold weather? Do you feel like a waddling marshmallow every time you step outside because of the amount of layers you have on? If that is the case, I check out the tips below to transform your winter outfits from shapeless and uncomfortable to trendy, comfortable, and warm!
- Tight long sleeved shirts: Wearing a baggy sweater is simply not enough coverage anymore. As you are walking to class, no matter how “high-tech” your long jacket is, air will run through your sweater, leaving you questioning whether you have frostbite—everywhere. The best purchase that I made for the winter months were my tight Sugarlips long sleeved shirts. Even though these shirts are thin, they keep you extremely warm. And because of their skin-tight style, you are able to layer shirts, sweaters, and sweatshirts over the shirt without feeling restrained. The color choices are endless, but my personal favorite is black because you can wear it with just about anything.
- Thick, long cardigans: Recently, cardigan sales have soared because of the various new patterns and styles companies are using to turn the cardigan from a plain, “private school uniform-style” piece of clothing, into a fun, trendy, and warm fashion statement. Thousands of websites have hopped on the cardigan train, each presenting a fun and new style. The long length of the cardigan keeps your sides and legs warm, while the thick-knit material keeps your body enclosed in a thermal paradise. Look at websites like Tobi, Nasty Gal, Urban Outfitters, Free People, Target, and Nordstrom to find a warm and fashion-forward cardigan!
- Tall socks: Students have come a long way from the patterned Juicy Couture high socks that we all know, used to wear, and love. Breaking news story—tall socks are back! Companies like Free People are transforming the once preppy look into a cute, bohemian fashion statement. You can even layer on two pairs of tall socks before putting on your Sorrels for extra warmth. Knee-high socks keep your legs and feet warm; sounds like a great idea to me!
- Beanies: The past few months have been the timeline from generic, “ski-like” hats to chic, warm beanies. Beanies range from tight to loose, and the variety of styles and patterns are sure to fit the personalities of everyone. Beanies are the perfect way to keep your ears warm, protect your head and hair from the snow, all while covering your forehead. Did I mention they are one of the most up-to-the-minute clothing articles in winter fashion?
- Fleece-lined leggings: As I am only a freshman at the University of Michigan, I did the ultimate amateur clothing move when I wore a pair of running leggings and sweatpants to class. Even though I was warm, the waddling I had to endure to make it to class on time was not worth it. Fleece-lined leggings were my saving grace! The warm interior lining is thick and soft, but not bulky at all. Fleece-lined leggings give you the ability to strut to class as if you were wearing your usual Nike or Lululemon running pants, but you feel like you are walking in pajamas.
With these five tips, I promise that you will not only survive this frigid Ann Arbor winter, but you will survive it in style. However, if you do not feel like “spicing up” your outfit, wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt to class—I know that I do not have time for these fashion trends when I have 8:00 a.m. classes. Stay warm everyone!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Fashion Articles
Recent University of Michigan News Articles
RECENT UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeCentral Michigan UniversityEastern Michigan UniversityGrand Valley State UniversityUniversity of MichiganMichigan State UniversityWayne State UniversityWestern Michigan UniversityOakland UniversityDavenport UniversityFerris State UniversityAquinas CollegeDelta CollegeLansing Community CollegeMontcalm Community CollegeNorthwestern Michigan CollegeNorthern Michigan UniversityAdrian CollegeAlbion CollegeAlma CollegeAndrews UniversityBaker CollegeCalvin CollegeCollege for Creative StudiesCornerstone UniversityHope CollegeKalamazoo CollegeKettering UniversityLake Superior State UniversityLawrence Technological UniversityMadonna UniversityMarygrove CollegeMichigan Technological UniversityNorthwood UniversityOlivet CollegeRochester CollegeSaginaw Valley State UniversitySiena Heights UniversitySpring Arbor UniversityThomas M Cooley Law SchoolUniversity of Detroit MercyUniversity of Michigan-DearbornUniversity of Michigan-FlintWalsh College of Accountancy and BusinessGrand Rapids Community CollegeWashtenaw Community CollegeKalamazoo Valley Community CollegeFinlandia UniversityAlpena Community College Bay De Noc Community CollegeBay Mills Community College Glen Oaks Community College Gogebic Community College Henry Ford CollegeJackson CollegeKellogg Community College Kirtland Community College Lake Michigan College Macomb Community College Mid Michigan Community College Mott Community College Muskegon Community College North Central Michigan College Oakland Community College Oakland Community College- Auburn HillsOakland Community College- Highland LakesOakland Community College- Royal OakSchoolcraft College Southwestern Michigan College St Clair County Community CollegeWayne County Community College DistrictWest Shore Community College Abcott InstituteAnn Arbor Institute of Massage TherapyBaker College Center for Graduate StudiesBaker College of Allen ParkBaker College of CadillacBaker College of Clinton TownshipBaker College of JacksonBaker College of OwossoBaker College of Port HuronBayshire Academy of Beauty Craft IncBlue Water College of Cosmetology IncBrighton Institute of CosmetologyCadillac Institute of CosmetologyCalvin Theological SeminaryCareer Quest Learning Centers-LansingCarnegie InstituteCleary UniversityCranbrook Academy of ArtDavenport University - Treasury Site DimondaleDavenport University-Battle Creek LocationDavenport University-Flint LocationDavenport University-Grand Rapids DowntownDavenport University-Holland LocationDavenport University-Kalamazoo LocationDavenport University-Lansing LocationDavenport University-Livonia LocationDavenport University-Midland LocationDavenport University-Saginaw LocationDavenport University-Traverse City LocationDavenport University-Warren LocationDavid Pressley School of CosmetologyDeVry University-MichiganDorsey Business Schools-DearbornDorsey Business Schools-LansingDorsey Business Schools-Madison HeightsDorsey Business Schools-RosevilleDorsey Business Schools-SaginawDorsey Business Schools-SouthgateDorsey Business Schools-Waterford PontiacDorsey Business Schools-WayneDouglas J Aveda InstituteEcumenical Theological SeminaryEmpire Beauty School-MichiganEverest Institute-DearbornEverest Institute-DetroitEverest Institute-Grand RapidsEverest Institute-KalamazooEverest Institute-SouthfieldExcel Academies of CosmetologyExcel Academies of Cosmetology-TroyFlint Institute of Barbering IncFocus-Hope Information Technologies CenterFrench Academy of CosmetologyGallery College of BeautyGreat Lakes Christian CollegeHillsdale Beauty CollegeHoughton Lake Institute of CosmetologyIn Session Arts of Cosmetology Beauty SchoolInternational Cosmetology AcademyITT Technical Institute-CantonITT Technical Institute-Swartz CreekITT Technical Institute-TroyKeweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community CollegeKuyper CollegeM J Murphy Beauty College of Mount PleasantManthano Christian CollegeMarketti Academy of CosmetologyMichigan Barber School IncMichigan Career and Technical InstituteMichigan State University-College of LawMoody Theological Seminary and Graduate School--MichiganP&A Scholars Beauty SchoolPaul Mitchell the School-EscanabaPaul Mitchell the School-MichiganProtege AcademyRegency Beauty Institute-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-Ann ArborRoss Medical Education Center-BrightonRoss Medical Education Center-CantonRoss Medical Education Center-DavisonRoss Medical Education Center-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-New BaltimoreRoss Medical Education Center-PortageRoss Medical Education Center-TaylorSacred Heart Major SeminarySalon AcademySchool of Missionary Aviation TechnologySharps Academy of Hair StylingSouth University-NoviTaylortown School of Beauty IncThe Art Institute of MichiganThe Salon Spa AcademyTwin City Beauty CollegeWest Michigan College of Barbering and BeautyWestern Theological SeminaryYeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit
- By State
- By City