Greek Life ... Not a "Legally Blonde" Fantasy
Greek life on all University campuses inherits a somewhat negative connotation due to the media. In the classic and very entertaining movie “Legally Blonde,” sorority girls are displayed in a way that makes them appear to be stupid, uncaring, and only focused on men and shopping.
Unfortunately, Hollywood’s portrayal of sorority women has cast a dark shadow over what it means to be involved with the Greek community. However, after only a few short months, all of these assumptions have proven to be false. It is time to expose to the rest of campus what it truly means to be Greek.
Am I trying to convince you that being in a sorority does not contain a social aspect? No, because it definitely involves going out with your sorority sisters and meeting other people on campus.
However, contrary to popular belief, Greek life is not a purely social endeavor. In all sororities, members must maintain a certain GPA to be in “good standing” as well as complete an allotted amount of community service hours and house points.
Being a part of a sorority is definitely fun, but the reasons why it is so fun is not only because of the various mixers we attend, and here are a few of the reasons why sorority life is more than just fun and games.
1. Academics: Sororities constantly host events where the older members teach the younger members about certain majors and career paths that they took while at Michigan.
In addition, each sorority has a large group in which girls can ask questions about good tutors, fun and interesting classes, hard classes, professors, and GPA requirements for particular University programs.
2. Networking: College is a time of exploration; it is the time in which people find out what they want to do later in life. Not only do sororities send out weekly e-mails about internships, ambassador programs, and job opportunities, but also older members and sorority alumni provide a great source of networking when trying to find a job after college.
3. Involvement: Each sorority holds elections and offers various appointed positions to members as means for them to not only gain leadership experience, but also for members to tackle a real-world job on a smaller scale.
These various positions, such as Executive Board Members, Recruitment Chairs and Philanthropy Chairs (just to name a few), provide members with valuable job experience and also give them the organizational abilities to succeed in a job after college.
4. Philanthropy: Even though each member is required to complete a certain amount of community service hours each semester, these hours are easily fulfilled, as girls look forward to any opportunities granted to them to help other people.
Each sorority supports one organization as their major philanthropy, but each house also conducts smaller-scaled fundraising events for both local and national organizations.
Sorority life is not all about wearing pink and doing the “Bend and Snap.” Sisterhood bonding is definitely important to all houses, but we bond in ways that do not involve partying and mixing with fraternity houses.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent University of Michigan News Articles
RECENT UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeCentral Michigan UniversityEastern Michigan UniversityGrand Valley State UniversityUniversity of MichiganMichigan State UniversityWayne State UniversityWestern Michigan UniversityOakland UniversityDavenport UniversityFerris State UniversityAquinas CollegeDelta CollegeLansing Community CollegeMontcalm Community CollegeNorthwestern Michigan CollegeNorthern Michigan UniversityAdrian CollegeAlbion CollegeAlma CollegeAndrews UniversityBaker CollegeCalvin CollegeCollege for Creative StudiesCornerstone UniversityHope CollegeKalamazoo CollegeKettering UniversityLake Superior State UniversityLawrence Technological UniversityMadonna UniversityMarygrove CollegeMichigan Technological UniversityNorthwood UniversityOlivet CollegeRochester CollegeSaginaw Valley State UniversitySiena Heights UniversitySpring Arbor UniversityThomas M Cooley Law SchoolUniversity of Detroit MercyUniversity of Michigan-DearbornUniversity of Michigan-FlintWalsh College of Accountancy and BusinessGrand Rapids Community CollegeWashtenaw Community CollegeKalamazoo Valley Community CollegeFinlandia UniversityAlpena Community College Bay De Noc Community CollegeBay Mills Community College Glen Oaks Community College Gogebic Community College Henry Ford CollegeJackson CollegeKellogg Community College Kirtland Community College Lake Michigan College Macomb Community College Mid Michigan Community College Mott Community College Muskegon Community College North Central Michigan College Oakland Community College Oakland Community College- Auburn HillsOakland Community College- Highland LakesOakland Community College- Royal OakSchoolcraft College Southwestern Michigan College St Clair County Community CollegeWayne County Community College DistrictWest Shore Community College Abcott InstituteAnn Arbor Institute of Massage TherapyBaker College Center for Graduate StudiesBaker College of Allen ParkBaker College of CadillacBaker College of Clinton TownshipBaker College of JacksonBaker College of OwossoBaker College of Port HuronBayshire Academy of Beauty Craft IncBlue Water College of Cosmetology IncBrighton Institute of CosmetologyCadillac Institute of CosmetologyCalvin Theological SeminaryCareer Quest Learning Centers-LansingCarnegie InstituteCleary UniversityCranbrook Academy of ArtDavenport University - Treasury Site DimondaleDavenport University-Battle Creek LocationDavenport University-Flint LocationDavenport University-Grand Rapids DowntownDavenport University-Holland LocationDavenport University-Kalamazoo LocationDavenport University-Lansing LocationDavenport University-Livonia LocationDavenport University-Midland LocationDavenport University-Saginaw LocationDavenport University-Traverse City LocationDavenport University-Warren LocationDavid Pressley School of CosmetologyDeVry University-MichiganDorsey Business Schools-DearbornDorsey Business Schools-LansingDorsey Business Schools-Madison HeightsDorsey Business Schools-RosevilleDorsey Business Schools-SaginawDorsey Business Schools-SouthgateDorsey Business Schools-Waterford PontiacDorsey Business Schools-WayneDouglas J Aveda InstituteEcumenical Theological SeminaryEmpire Beauty School-MichiganEverest Institute-DearbornEverest Institute-DetroitEverest Institute-Grand RapidsEverest Institute-KalamazooEverest Institute-SouthfieldExcel Academies of CosmetologyExcel Academies of Cosmetology-TroyFlint Institute of Barbering IncFocus-Hope Information Technologies CenterFrench Academy of CosmetologyGallery College of BeautyGreat Lakes Christian CollegeHillsdale Beauty CollegeHoughton Lake Institute of CosmetologyIn Session Arts of Cosmetology Beauty SchoolInternational Cosmetology AcademyITT Technical Institute-CantonITT Technical Institute-Swartz CreekITT Technical Institute-TroyKeweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community CollegeKuyper CollegeM J Murphy Beauty College of Mount PleasantManthano Christian CollegeMarketti Academy of CosmetologyMichigan Barber School IncMichigan Career and Technical InstituteMichigan State University-College of LawMoody Theological Seminary and Graduate School--MichiganP&A Scholars Beauty SchoolPaul Mitchell the School-EscanabaPaul Mitchell the School-MichiganProtege AcademyRegency Beauty Institute-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-Ann ArborRoss Medical Education Center-BrightonRoss Medical Education Center-CantonRoss Medical Education Center-DavisonRoss Medical Education Center-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-New BaltimoreRoss Medical Education Center-PortageRoss Medical Education Center-TaylorSacred Heart Major SeminarySalon AcademySchool of Missionary Aviation TechnologySharps Academy of Hair StylingSouth University-NoviTaylortown School of Beauty IncThe Art Institute of MichiganThe Salon Spa AcademyTwin City Beauty CollegeWest Michigan College of Barbering and BeautyWestern Theological SeminaryYeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit
- By State
- By City