15 of the Most Bizarre College Clubs
Creating a club is really nothing more than being passionate about something, locating a group of like-minded people, and slapping a catchy name on the whole thing.
And it seems like there’s a club for everything and everybody when you’re in college. If you ever wanted to join up with a group united in their love for pizza crust or blanket forts, now’s the time to do it—very rarely will you encounter these kinds of outlandish organizations outside of a college campus.
1. The Moustache Club (Carleton College)
No moustache required (but it’s certainly encouraged). All that’s necessary is a deep and abiding love of facial hair and those who have it. Members aspire to reach the standards of excellence embodied by some of the great mustachioed men of our time.
2. The Cheese Club (Purchase College, SUNY)
There’s a fine line between regarding cheese as the stuff that goes on other stuff, and revering it as the food of the gods. At Purchase College, SUNY, they chuck that dividing line right out the window—either you love cheese or you’re lying. If you’re not yet convinced, check out their tumblr—it’s called “Eat Cheese or Die.”
3. The Hammock Club (Calvin College)
Do you like hammocks? Great. But do you love hammocks with a fierce and eternal passion that rivals that of anything you’ve heretofore enjoyed? Even better! Calvin College is encouraging stress-free leisure time one hammock at a time.
4. Rock-Paper-Scissors Club (University of Kentucky)
If you’ve only ever been using Rock-Paper-Scissors to determine who gets shotgun or who has to go to the store, you’ve been doing it all wrong. Rock-Paper-Scissors is a glorious testament to human competition. (They even have championships.)
5. The Squirrel Club (University of Michigan)
Any University of Michigan student can and will confirm that our very own Squirrel Club is as serious as they come. What began as an offhand joke of an idea late one night in East Quad, ultimately blossomed into something clearly bigger than all of us—and it’s been growing in popularity ever since. (It’s even catching on—Western Michigan University has one, too.)
6. Cube Club (Harvard)
Harvard’s Cube Club is devoted to solving Rubik’s Cubes with the kind of careless ease people both fear and respect, thereby solidifying their rightful place as our future overlords.
7. Free Compliments Club (Tufts University)
The Free Compliments Club is combatting the evils of the world with nothing but praise, free of charge. If you happen to pass by the university’s library, chances are you’ll walk away thinking, “You know what? I am looking pretty good today.”
8. Childish Games Commission (Kalamazoo College)
Let your inner child run amok at Kalamazoo College—meetings consist largely of Capture the Flag, blanket forts, Slip N’ Slides, and Twister. (General hijinks may ensue.)
9. Boffer Club, also known as the Foam Sword Warriors (Alfred University)
At Alfred, they simply want to enjoy the chivalric honor and adventure of sword fighting without all that pesky armor and blood loss getting in the way. The solution? Foam swords, shields, axes, and spears. If you’re not amused, you’re clearly not picturing upwards of eighty people whacking each other with various foam weapons during the annual Alfred Civil War.
10. Clown Nose Club (Penn State University)
The Clown Nose Club has been so wildly successful it’s inspired spinoffs at other universities, like North Carolina State. They’re all about positivity and expanding your horizons—while wearing a clown nose, obviously, because why not?
11. Humans vs. Zombies (Goucher College)
Humans vs. Zombies clubs are cropping up everywhere, but it started at Groucher. It’s all fun and games until one of your friends is a zombie, and then it’s an all-out war for human supremacy in the face of the apocalypse.
12. Campus People Watchers (University of Minnesota)
They describe themselves as a “non-profit, non-creepy organization” that orchestrates group observational sessions and meets afterward to discuss their findings. (It’s not weird. Don’t make it weird.)
13. Students Against Hippies in Trees (UC Berkeley)
In 2006, tree-sitting protests took place to oppose the university’s removal of oak trees on campus. Not long after, a reactionary group emerged to protest the protests. Then another group answered the call to protest those protests, in a seemingly never-ending vortex of protests.
14. Lumberjack Club (Michigan Tech)
No club has ever made more sense than this one. All you purportedly need is a healthy sense of when to wear flannel. (The correct answer is “always.”)
15. Dignified Educated United Crust Eaters Society (Western Michigan University)
The club came to be after a debate among friends about the merit of pizza crust. They’re determined to put a stop to what they refer to as “discrimination of crust” and bring us one step closer to world peace.
It turns out that there are clubs to encompass every facet of the human experience, no matter how silly or squirrelly. Regardless of your cheese preferences or the extent to which you can or can’t grow a moustache, there’s a club out there for you—and if there’s not, what’s stopping you from starting your own?
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent University of Michigan News Articles
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeCentral Michigan UniversityEastern Michigan UniversityGrand Valley State UniversityUniversity of MichiganMichigan State UniversityWayne State UniversityWestern Michigan UniversityOakland UniversityDavenport UniversityFerris State UniversityAquinas CollegeDelta CollegeLansing Community CollegeMontcalm Community CollegeNorthwestern Michigan CollegeNorthern Michigan UniversityAdrian CollegeAlbion CollegeAlma CollegeAndrews UniversityBaker CollegeCalvin CollegeCollege for Creative StudiesCornerstone UniversityHope CollegeKalamazoo CollegeKettering UniversityLake Superior State UniversityLawrence Technological UniversityMadonna UniversityMarygrove CollegeMichigan Technological UniversityNorthwood UniversityOlivet CollegeRochester CollegeSaginaw Valley State UniversitySiena Heights UniversitySpring Arbor UniversityThomas M. Cooley Law SchoolUniversity of Detroit MercyUniversity of Michigan-DearbornUniversity of Michigan-FlintWalsh College of Accountancy and BusinessGrand Rapids Community CollegeWashtenaw Community CollegeKalamazoo Valley Community CollegeFinlandia UniversityAlpena Community College Bay De Noc Community CollegeBay Mills Community College Glen Oaks Community College Gogebic Community College Henry Ford CollegeJackson CollegeKellogg Community College Kirtland Community College Lake Michigan College Macomb Community College Mid Michigan Community College Mott Community College Muskegon Community College North Central Michigan College Oakland Community College Oakland Community College- Auburn HillsOakland Community College- Highland LakesOakland Community College- Royal OakSchoolcraft College Southwestern Michigan College St Clair County Community CollegeWayne County Community College DistrictWest Shore Community College Abcott InstituteAnn Arbor Institute of Massage TherapyBaker College Center for Graduate StudiesBaker College of Allen ParkBaker College of CadillacBaker College of Clinton TownshipBaker College of JacksonBaker College of OwossoBaker College of Port HuronBayshire Academy of Beauty Craft IncBlue Water College of Cosmetology IncBrighton Institute of CosmetologyCadillac Institute of CosmetologyCalvin Theological SeminaryCareer Quest Learning Centers-LansingCarnegie InstituteCleary UniversityCranbrook Academy of ArtDavenport University - Treasury Site DimondaleDavenport University-Battle Creek LocationDavenport University-Flint LocationDavenport University-Grand Rapids DowntownDavenport University-Holland LocationDavenport University-Kalamazoo LocationDavenport University-Lansing LocationDavenport University-Livonia LocationDavenport University-Midland LocationDavenport University-Saginaw LocationDavenport University-Traverse City LocationDavenport University-Warren LocationDavid Pressley School of CosmetologyDeVry University-MichiganDorsey Business Schools-DearbornDorsey Business Schools-LansingDorsey Business Schools-Madison HeightsDorsey Business Schools-RosevilleDorsey Business Schools-SaginawDorsey Business Schools-SouthgateDorsey Business Schools-Waterford PontiacDorsey Business Schools-WayneDouglas J Aveda InstituteEcumenical Theological SeminaryEmpire Beauty School-MichiganEverest Institute-DearbornEverest Institute-DetroitEverest Institute-Grand RapidsEverest Institute-KalamazooEverest Institute-SouthfieldExcel Academies of CosmetologyExcel Academies of Cosmetology-TroyFlint Institute of Barbering IncFocus-Hope Information Technologies CenterFrench Academy of CosmetologyGallery College of BeautyGreat Lakes Christian CollegeHillsdale Beauty CollegeHoughton Lake Institute of CosmetologyIn Session Arts of Cosmetology Beauty SchoolInternational Cosmetology AcademyITT Technical Institute-CantonITT Technical Institute-Swartz CreekITT Technical Institute-TroyKeweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community CollegeKuyper CollegeM J Murphy Beauty College of Mount PleasantManthano Christian CollegeMarketti Academy of CosmetologyMichigan Barber School IncMichigan Career and Technical InstituteMichigan State University-College of LawMoody Theological Seminary and Graduate School--MichiganP&A Scholars Beauty SchoolPaul Mitchell the School-EscanabaPaul Mitchell the School-MichiganProtege AcademyRegency Beauty Institute-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-Ann ArborRoss Medical Education Center-BrightonRoss Medical Education Center-CantonRoss Medical Education Center-DavisonRoss Medical Education Center-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-New BaltimoreRoss Medical Education Center-PortageRoss Medical Education Center-TaylorSacred Heart Major SeminarySalon AcademySchool of Missionary Aviation TechnologySharps Academy of Hair StylingSouth University-NoviTaylortown School of Beauty IncThe Art Institute of MichiganThe Salon Spa AcademyTwin City Beauty CollegeWest Michigan College of Barbering and BeautyWestern Theological SeminaryYeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit
- By State
- By City