How to Survive a Long Distance Relationship
I used to be one of those people who scoffed at long distance relationships. I found them overly complicated and impractical. I remember voicing to my friends that I did not understand why anyone would want a boyfriend without the real perks of physically HAVING a boyfriend. Weren?t his primary responsibilities to cuddle you and protect you and take you to romantic dinners? How could he do any of these things from miles and miles away?! The whole concept was lost on me, like reading Chaucer or eating at restaurants that do not believe in bread baskets. I felt sure that I was the voice of reason and everyone willing to subject themselves to such torture was masochistic and delusional.
But then last year, I found myself crossing over to the dark side. Lo and behold, I entered into a relationship with someone just as I was embarking on a four-month exchange program at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. Suddenly, my unwavering cynicism about long distance relationships transformed into a theatrical optimism. I?m in love, I?m in love! Bring on the distance! Shower me in FaceTimes and Snapchats! I was deliriously unconcerned with all of the hardships I had previously considered and dove headfirst into my first real relationship with an ocean separating me from the one person I wished to be with most.
Sometimes it was easy. We mastered the sixteen-hour time difference and knew each other?s schedules by heart. Other times, like when I went on a spring break trip in Thailand and lived in a bungalow for three nights without any way to communicate with the outside world, no electricity, and toilets that ceased to flush, it wasn?t quite as easy. I went through periods of deep sadness during which all I wished for was to see his face in real life rather than through a pixelated computer screen. And of course, there was the inevitable, social-media-induced jealousy. Who the F*** was that girl standing next to my boyfriend in the background of that picture behind that stack of red solo cups, kind of smiling? And why was she within a fifty foot radius of him? Yet over time, the little moments of jealousy became less common. Days in Australia slowly turned into weeks and weeks turned into months, and finally, it was time to come home.
Today, after successfully making it through my semester abroad with my relationship still intact, my boyfriend is working in Sweden while I finish out my senior year of college. And so, the realities of a more elongated LDR, filled with unfortunate images of beautiful, tall, Swedish blondes, have begun to set in. At this point, however, I consider myself a veteran and feel it is my duty to impart some wisdom on any other brave souls who find themselves unwittingly subjected to such madness. Here are several guidelines to reference in case you find yourself struggling, as I surely have:
1)?? Keep Calm and Skype On.
Make Skype your new best friend. Skype in the morning, Skype in the evening, Skype in the afternoon. Have a side of Skype with dinner and sleep with your computer under your pillow in case you receive a Skype call.
2)?? Live, Laugh, Reassure.?
The more reassurance you provide each other, the more confident and happy you?ll feel. Sometimes when there are multiple oceans between you and your significant other, a few more “I love you?s” make all the difference. Guys – feel free to throw in a couple extra “you’re beautiful?s” or “woah, I’m so lucky’s,” for good measure.
3)?? Visitation rights.?
Make sure to visit each other as much as you can. Try not to go more than a few months without seeing your boyfriend or girlfriend because if you do, you will develop separation anxiety, and you will go crazy?and die.
4)?? Find support from friends.
Often times your friends will be skeptics like I was. Explain to them that you know what you are doing–that you love them–but if they have a problem with your life choices, they can kindly leave.
5)?? Oh, and lastly, always follow your heart.
Because no matter how seemingly impossible the circumstance, sometimes you just have to, well, let love happen.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN STUDY ABROAD LISTINGSSee all UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Study Abroad Listings
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Study Abroad Listings
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN NEWS
- 6 Ways To Convince Your Residents To Renew Their Lease
- How Harry Potter Has Influenced Millennial Views
- 5 Things Students Can Do On Tallahassee Weekends
- Coping with Disease: My Life with Epilepsy
- 5 Reasons to Move Back Home After College
- Opinion: Why Is Sex So Stigmatized?
- Opinion: Some Things Are Meant To Be Private
MOST POPULAR UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeCentral Michigan UniversityEastern Michigan UniversityGrand Valley State UniversityUniversity of MichiganMichigan State UniversityWayne State UniversityWestern Michigan UniversityOakland UniversityDavenport UniversityFerris State UniversityAquinas CollegeDelta CollegeLansing Community CollegeMontcalm Community CollegeNorthwestern Michigan CollegeNorthern Michigan UniversityAdrian CollegeAlbion CollegeAlma CollegeAndrews UniversityBaker CollegeCalvin CollegeCollege for Creative StudiesCornerstone UniversityHope CollegeKalamazoo CollegeKettering UniversityLake Superior State UniversityLawrence Technological UniversityMadonna UniversityMarygrove CollegeMichigan Technological UniversityNorthwood UniversityOlivet CollegeRochester CollegeSaginaw Valley State UniversitySiena Heights UniversitySpring Arbor UniversityThomas M Cooley Law SchoolUniversity of Detroit MercyUniversity of Michigan-DearbornUniversity of Michigan-FlintWalsh College of Accountancy and BusinessGrand Rapids Community CollegeWashtenaw Community CollegeKalamazoo Valley Community CollegeFinlandia UniversityAlpena Community College Bay De Noc Community CollegeBay Mills Community College Glen Oaks Community College Gogebic Community College Henry Ford CollegeJackson CollegeKellogg Community College Kirtland Community College Lake Michigan College Macomb Community College Mid Michigan Community College Mott Community College Muskegon Community College North Central Michigan College Oakland Community College Oakland Community College- Auburn HillsOakland Community College- Highland LakesOakland Community College- Royal OakSchoolcraft College Southwestern Michigan College St Clair County Community CollegeWayne County Community College DistrictWest Shore Community College Abcott InstituteAnn Arbor Institute of Massage TherapyBaker College Center for Graduate StudiesBaker College of Allen ParkBaker College of CadillacBaker College of Clinton TownshipBaker College of JacksonBaker College of OwossoBaker College of Port HuronBayshire Academy of Beauty Craft IncBlue Water College of Cosmetology IncBrighton Institute of CosmetologyCadillac Institute of CosmetologyCalvin Theological SeminaryCareer Quest Learning Centers-LansingCarnegie InstituteCleary UniversityCranbrook Academy of ArtDavenport University - Treasury Site DimondaleDavenport University-Battle Creek LocationDavenport University-Flint LocationDavenport University-Grand Rapids DowntownDavenport University-Holland LocationDavenport University-Kalamazoo LocationDavenport University-Lansing LocationDavenport University-Livonia LocationDavenport University-Midland LocationDavenport University-Saginaw LocationDavenport University-Traverse City LocationDavenport University-Warren LocationDavid Pressley School of CosmetologyDeVry University-MichiganDorsey Business Schools-DearbornDorsey Business Schools-LansingDorsey Business Schools-Madison HeightsDorsey Business Schools-RosevilleDorsey Business Schools-SaginawDorsey Business Schools-SouthgateDorsey Business Schools-Waterford PontiacDorsey Business Schools-WayneDouglas J Aveda InstituteEcumenical Theological SeminaryEmpire Beauty School-MichiganEverest Institute-DearbornEverest Institute-DetroitEverest Institute-Grand RapidsEverest Institute-KalamazooEverest Institute-SouthfieldExcel Academies of CosmetologyExcel Academies of Cosmetology-TroyFlint Institute of Barbering IncFocus-Hope Information Technologies CenterFrench Academy of CosmetologyGallery College of BeautyGreat Lakes Christian CollegeHillsdale Beauty CollegeHoughton Lake Institute of CosmetologyIn Session Arts of Cosmetology Beauty SchoolInternational Cosmetology AcademyITT Technical Institute-CantonITT Technical Institute-Swartz CreekITT Technical Institute-TroyKeweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community CollegeKuyper CollegeM J Murphy Beauty College of Mount PleasantManthano Christian CollegeMarketti Academy of CosmetologyMIAT College of TechnologyMichigan Barber School IncMichigan Career and Technical InstituteMichigan State University-College of LawMoody Theological Seminary and Graduate School--MichiganP&A Scholars Beauty SchoolPaul Mitchell the School-EscanabaPaul Mitchell the School-MichiganProtege AcademyRegency Beauty Institute-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-Ann ArborRoss Medical Education Center-BrightonRoss Medical Education Center-CantonRoss Medical Education Center-DavisonRoss Medical Education Center-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-New BaltimoreRoss Medical Education Center-PortageRoss Medical Education Center-TaylorSacred Heart Major SeminarySalon AcademySchool of Missionary Aviation TechnologySharps Academy of Hair StylingSouth University-NoviTaylortown School of Beauty IncThe Art Institute of MichiganThe Salon Spa AcademyTwin City Beauty CollegeWest Michigan College of Barbering and BeautyWestern Theological SeminaryYeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit
- By State
- By City