How to Survive a Long Distance Relationship
I used to be one of those people who scoffed at long distance relationships. I found them overly complicated and impractical. I remember voicing to my friends that I did not understand why anyone would want a boyfriend without the real perks of physically HAVING a boyfriend. Weren?t his primary responsibilities to cuddle you and protect you and take you to romantic dinners? How could he do any of these things from miles and miles away?! The whole concept was lost on me, like reading Chaucer or eating at restaurants that do not believe in bread baskets. I felt sure that I was the voice of reason and everyone willing to subject themselves to such torture was masochistic and delusional.
But then last year, I found myself crossing over to the dark side. Lo and behold, I entered into a relationship with someone just as I was embarking on a four-month exchange program at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. Suddenly, my unwavering cynicism about long distance relationships transformed into a theatrical optimism. I?m in love, I?m in love! Bring on the distance! Shower me in FaceTimes and Snapchats! I was deliriously unconcerned with all of the hardships I had previously considered and dove headfirst into my first real relationship with an ocean separating me from the one person I wished to be with most.
Sometimes it was easy. We mastered the sixteen-hour time difference and knew each other?s schedules by heart. Other times, like when I went on a spring break trip in Thailand and lived in a bungalow for three nights without any way to communicate with the outside world, no electricity, and toilets that ceased to flush, it wasn?t quite as easy. I went through periods of deep sadness during which all I wished for was to see his face in real life rather than through a pixelated computer screen. And of course, there was the inevitable, social-media-induced jealousy. Who the F*** was that girl standing next to my boyfriend in the background of that picture behind that stack of red solo cups, kind of smiling? And why was she within a fifty foot radius of him? Yet over time, the little moments of jealousy became less common. Days in Australia slowly turned into weeks and weeks turned into months, and finally, it was time to come home.
Today, after successfully making it through my semester abroad with my relationship still intact, my boyfriend is working in Sweden while I finish out my senior year of college. And so, the realities of a more elongated LDR, filled with unfortunate images of beautiful, tall, Swedish blondes, have begun to set in. At this point, however, I consider myself a veteran and feel it is my duty to impart some wisdom on any other brave souls who find themselves unwittingly subjected to such madness. Here are several guidelines to reference in case you find yourself struggling, as I surely have:
1)?? Keep Calm and Skype On.
Make Skype your new best friend. Skype in the morning, Skype in the evening, Skype in the afternoon. Have a side of Skype with dinner and sleep with your computer under your pillow in case you receive a Skype call.
2)?? Live, Laugh, Reassure.?
The more reassurance you provide each other, the more confident and happy you?ll feel. Sometimes when there are multiple oceans between you and your significant other, a few more “I love you?s” make all the difference. Guys – feel free to throw in a couple extra “you’re beautiful?s” or “woah, I’m so lucky’s,” for good measure.
3)?? Visitation rights.?
Make sure to visit each other as much as you can. Try not to go more than a few months without seeing your boyfriend or girlfriend because if you do, you will develop separation anxiety, and you will go crazy?and die.
4)?? Find support from friends.
Often times your friends will be skeptics like I was. Explain to them that you know what you are doing–that you love them–but if they have a problem with your life choices, they can kindly leave.
5)?? Oh, and lastly, always follow your heart.
Because no matter how seemingly impossible the circumstance, sometimes you just have to, well, let love happen.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN STUDY ABROAD LISTINGSSee all UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Study Abroad Listings
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Study Abroad Listings
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN NEWS
- Did The Walking Dead Take It Too Far?
- You Are Mistaken: Feminism Is Gender Equality
- 5 Apps You Need in Your Life
- Students Lose Confidence in Campus Safety at Temple University
- 5 Palatable Options In and Around USC
- How to Land an Internship: A Few Tips and Tricks
- Exclusive Interview with Ghostlight Director Thomas Gallogly!
MOST POPULAR UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAbcott InstituteAdrian CollegeAlbion CollegeAlma CollegeAlpena Community College Andrews UniversityAnn Arbor Institute of Massage TherapyAquinas CollegeBaker CollegeBaker College Center for Graduate StudiesBaker College of Allen ParkBaker College of CadillacBaker College of Clinton TownshipBaker College of JacksonBaker College of OwossoBaker College of Port HuronBay De Noc Community CollegeBay Mills Community College Bayshire Academy of Beauty Craft IncBlue Water College of Cosmetology IncBrighton Institute of CosmetologyCadillac Institute of CosmetologyCalvin CollegeCalvin Theological SeminaryCareer Quest Learning Centers-LansingCarnegie InstituteCentral Michigan UniversityCleary UniversityCollege for Creative StudiesCornerstone UniversityCranbrook Academy of ArtDavenport UniversityDavenport University - Treasury Site DimondaleDavenport University-Battle Creek LocationDavenport University-Flint LocationDavenport University-Grand Rapids DowntownDavenport University-Holland LocationDavenport University-Kalamazoo LocationDavenport University-Lansing LocationDavenport University-Livonia LocationDavenport University-Midland LocationDavenport University-Saginaw LocationDavenport University-Traverse City LocationDavenport University-Warren LocationDavid Pressley School of CosmetologyDelta CollegeDeVry University-MichiganDorsey Business Schools-DearbornDorsey Business Schools-LansingDorsey Business Schools-Madison HeightsDorsey Business Schools-RosevilleDorsey Business Schools-SaginawDorsey Business Schools-SouthgateDorsey Business Schools-Waterford PontiacDorsey Business Schools-WayneDouglas J Aveda InstituteEastern Michigan UniversityEcumenical Theological SeminaryEmpire Beauty School-MichiganEverest Institute-DearbornEverest Institute-DetroitEverest Institute-Grand RapidsEverest Institute-KalamazooEverest Institute-SouthfieldExcel Academies of CosmetologyExcel Academies of Cosmetology-TroyFerris State UniversityFinlandia UniversityFlint Institute of Barbering IncFocus-Hope Information Technologies CenterFrench Academy of CosmetologyGallery College of BeautyGlen Oaks Community College Gogebic Community College Grand Rapids Community CollegeGrand Valley State UniversityGreat Lakes Christian CollegeHenry Ford CollegeHillsdale Beauty CollegeHope CollegeHoughton Lake Institute of CosmetologyIn Session Arts of Cosmetology Beauty SchoolInternational Cosmetology AcademyITT Technical Institute-CantonITT Technical Institute-Swartz CreekITT Technical Institute-TroyJackson CollegeKalamazoo CollegeKalamazoo Valley Community CollegeKellogg Community College Kettering UniversityKeweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community CollegeKirtland Community College Kuyper CollegeLake Michigan College Lake Superior State UniversityLansing Community CollegeLawrence Technological UniversityM J Murphy Beauty College of Mount PleasantMacomb Community College Madonna UniversityManthano Christian CollegeMarketti Academy of CosmetologyMarygrove CollegeMichigan Barber School IncMichigan Career and Technical InstituteMichigan State UniversityMichigan State University-College of LawMichigan Technological UniversityMid Michigan Community College Montcalm Community CollegeMoody Theological Seminary and Graduate School--MichiganMott Community College Muskegon Community College North Central Michigan College Northern Michigan UniversityNorthwestern Michigan CollegeNorthwood UniversityOakland Community College Oakland Community College- Auburn HillsOakland Community College- Highland LakesOakland Community College- Royal OakOakland UniversityOlivet CollegeP&A Scholars Beauty SchoolPaul Mitchell the School-EscanabaPaul Mitchell the School-MichiganProtege AcademyRegency Beauty Institute-LansingRochester CollegeRoss Medical Education Center-Ann ArborRoss Medical Education Center-BrightonRoss Medical Education Center-CantonRoss Medical Education Center-DavisonRoss Medical Education Center-LansingRoss Medical Education Center-New BaltimoreRoss Medical Education Center-PortageRoss Medical Education Center-TaylorSacred Heart Major SeminarySaginaw Valley State UniversitySalon AcademySchool of Missionary Aviation TechnologySchoolcraft College Sharps Academy of Hair StylingSiena Heights UniversitySouth University-NoviSouthwestern Michigan College Spring Arbor UniversitySt Clair County Community CollegeTaylortown School of Beauty IncThe Art Institute of MichiganThe Salon Spa AcademyThomas M Cooley Law SchoolTwin City Beauty CollegeUniversity of Detroit MercyUniversity of MichiganUniversity of Michigan-DearbornUniversity of Michigan-FlintWalsh College of Accountancy and BusinessWashtenaw Community CollegeWayne County Community College DistrictWayne State UniversityWest Michigan College of Barbering and BeautyWest Shore Community College Western Michigan UniversityWestern Theological SeminaryYeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit
- By State
- By City